Tuesday, January 01, 2008

New Year's Eve/Day Extreme Room Makeover

Last night my mom took Tanner, Christopher and Paige to her house for a sleepover. The boys were thrilled--and so was I. I planned this little outing so that I could re-do their bedroom. I'd already done the others and they've been waiting a long time to have theirs done. I wanted it to be a big surprise. And, if I didn't do it all in one night, I knew that it would never get done. So, here is a little play by play of our night.

5:00 pm--The boys left at 4:00 and we got going on the room as fast as we could. From here we had to take a little break and having dinner and get the girls going on their party. So we had a little while before any progress was being made.

9:00 pm--As you can see some of the walls have started being painted and the castle is assembled and has it's background coat of paint. Mike left to take Michael to the church to the New Year's Eve party and helped get it started. I took a break to watch the girls do Dance Dance Revolution.
10:00 pm--My friend Christy called in a panic. She lives out of town and has a giant grass field behind her house. The field was on fire and her house was in danger. Her husband was at the church with no cell phone. So Mike jumped in the car, went to the church, got her husband and headed to her house. I rounded up a couple other men and had them head that way.
11:00--I worked here and there on the room and hung out with the girls who were stressed about the fire situation. Mike called to say that it looked like the worst was over and their house was going to be fine. While we were on the phone the flames rose up again huge. So again we were worried.
11:30 pm--Mike was on his way home, the fire was out and he headed to the church to ring in the New Year with the youth (I think this is the first time we haven't been together when the clock struck midnight in 15 years).
Midnight--The girls and I celebrated and I went back to the boys room
1:30 am--Mike came home and we were off and running working again.
2:15 am--We saw a huge fire out our window of the landing in a field not too far away. So with two of the four girls and Michael and his friend Josh, we jumped in the car to go fire chasing. We found it and saw it burning.
3:30 am--Mike and I went to bed.
7:00 am--We were back at the room thing again.

Noon--The boys came home. Poor Nana spent the morning trying to stall coming home with the boys. We were not as finished as we'd like to have been but continued to make progress through the day.

8:00 pm--Here is the room mostly finished.

Here is the ASHFORD castle. The lights even flicker like "real" flames.

Check out the vinyl on the bushes and the crest. Check out the organization--these boys need that badly!!

Soon this will get a shelf along the top of the castle and a paper roll mounted to the wall. See the vinyl triangle and window frames?
The boys were thrilled and so is Paige. Now she is instant that she have a castle in her room. Grampa Ashford--thanks for the bunk beds! We transformed the beds that Mike and his brothers used when they were kids! Thanks Nana for helping us out with our little plan!

4 comments:

Regan said...

WOW! I can't believe you got that all done in one night/day. It looks really awesome. I know Bridget is going to want to sleep over even more now! So, when are you available to help me with our house??

GrannySharon said...

Jeri, I look at your blog all the time and don't usually comment, but WOW! I am so impressed!! I love the new room. The fact that you had a b-day party in the middle of a fire, in the middle of re-doing a room on New Years Eve is amazing to say the least. When I grow up I want to be like you! How do you stay sane??

Lisa said...

Cool! I bet the vinyl made things so much faster and easier. And I love all the dragon accessories!

Momma Mia said...

Does this mean that I have to have Michael, Kelsey, Tanner, Christopher, Paige, Danielle, and Holly for a sleep-over so you can do the little girls room? I'd be happy to, but I need a little down time first. You've outdone yourself ferrett face.